Friday, January 30, 2009

3 Weeks in

Sani Bonani!!! ( Hello all) Wow so much has happened in these last few weeks, I do not even know where to start. Living in this house has been quite hectic. Even as I sit here typing there are three kids under the age of three yelling and crying continuously. In a little bit the three teens will get home from school and the chaos and noise will rise even more. The house is full with 13 people in it right now- as you can imagine living with 13 people would be quite difficult. I am the only white person living in the house, but that is not much of an issue as is the fact that most people staying here are coming from extreme poverty and lack of education. It has been quite the challenge to teach them to clean up after themselves, not to leave food lying out, to change diapers, and give baths, clean properly, and care for the children. They have been here a while, but we (the team) still have to monitor everything they do and remind them constantly to do things and clean up. It is exhausting and I have actually stepped down from this role as it is interfering with what I came here to do, so I will no longer be playing parent and disciplinarian to them. The room that I did have to myself is now also being inhabited by a 40 something yr old women and her 19 yr old daughter so this has made things even more difficult for me personally as now I don’t even have a room to escape to. I definitely need prayers for my sanity and patience!! My flat is coming along, and we are hoping that by the end of next week it will be livable- although probably not totally finished. Next week I am going to start meeting with the girls and the woman who are staying here to start building a therapeutic relationship and get the counseling going. Next Wed and Thursday when we are in the Valley I am going to speak about abuse and healing and encourage those who have been traumatized that God wants to see them healed. Counseling is not the norm in the Zulu culture so it will be a process of introducing it to them and building relationships before I can begin working individually with people. Please continue praying for me in this area. Unfortunately I was robbed at the beach last week and lost my wallet with everything in it, my phone, the car keys, an outfit, and some other things. I was very upset and angry. I felt so violated and helpless. It was not a nice experience and I am still trying to get things sorted out with everything that was stolen- my money, ATM card, credit cards, license as the most important. But that night Sandile and I and some others prayed through it and the Lord led me to forgive them and to bless them in His name. I no longer am furious, although sometimes I get irritated when I think about what is gone and the annoyances that I now have to deal with. I guess I am now initiated fully into South Africa.... On a more positive note things with Sandile and I are GREAT. We are really enjoying spending time together and seeing each other every day. He is such a blessing to me and I feel so lucky. We start pre marital counseling with Garry and Annette Tuesday evening. I am excited for this and we will meet every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. I have also started Zulu class!!! Me and another woman on the team are being taught by a Zulu woman who is also a teacher. We meet on Monday afternoons and I am so excited to begin learning and understanding more. It is great also because I am immersed and surrounded by Zulu in the house, so it will help me as I learn formally to be practicing and hearing it spoken daily. Hamba Kahle! (Go well) Abby

2 comments:

esther said...

Abs! it was great to read your update, even though i had a general idea of what was going on with you. also your story of Dion below was great!!
i am praying for you and i'm so excited for your growth, your work and you and Sandile's relationship!
love you mucho!!!

Mallorie said...

Abby!

So great to hear from you. I will be praying for your living situation, for your breakthrough ministry in the valley, for your marriage counseling, and for your language learning (holy cow you're doing a lot)! I miss you and love you!

Mal