Monday, January 12, 2009

Conversations with Dion (age 6)

Sunday I was sick with a stomach ache. I have no idea what it was from but I was in bed all day. There was a party going on in the house because it was Praise’s first birthday. Dion, who is one of the AIDS orphans that Garry and Annette have, periodically, came to visit me in my room. He seemed very concerned that I was sick and wanted to know if I was going to eat. I told him no, because I do not like to eat when my tummy hurts. He said I could have the people come and pray for me and then I can get up and walk like Jesus did. I chuckled and told him that he could pray for me. He says “I don’t know how” I say, “Its easy, you just talk to God” He says “I cant pray like Aunty Annette”I say “its ok” and he replies that he is shy, so I tell him he can pray in Zulu then I will not know what he is saying. Instead he sees Nokuthula- age 15, one of the girls staying in the house, and tells her “woza” (come) and pray for Abby. So she does and Dion stands next to her while she does. A little while later he comes back and I asked him to put something on the other bed. I say “Thank you” and he says “huh”’ so I say it is Zulu, “Ngiyabonga” and he shouts at me saying “Don’t speak Zulu to me, I know English!> It was so cute. He is so precious. There are four young ladies staying at the house at the moment, and one of them with a child, whom I just met today. They are Nokuthula, age 15, Nomi, age 15, Thola, age 18, and Jabu, age 23. They are lovely and we are having a great time getting to know each other through limited communication! They are learning English so we can talk some, but it is limited. There is a woman who is supposedly starting Zulu lessons later this month, so I am going to call her and find out about them. I think it is going to take a lot more than just being able to pick it up by listening! The weather has been quite rainy and not very hot, but extremely humid. Although, the first day I was here was about 90-95 with 100% humidity. Let’s just say I was dripping sweat all day! But it has been rainy and cooler since, although I am still wearing shorts while they are in pants and jackets!Wednesday we will go into the Valley for the weekly service and ministry. After that there will be a team meeting in which I will get a chance to explain to the team why I am here and what my role with be.Soon I will begin going to the valley more often to visit girls and build relationships with th ehelp of some of the Zulu team members. Hopefully in the next week or so I will have a schedule of what my days will look like. I am currently staying in the house although renovations for my room have begun today. It should take about 3 weeks to knock out the walls and expand the place where I will stay as well and re-do the floor, bathroom, and put in a small kitchenette. It will be quite nice and I am looking forward to it being done! I am doing well and having a great time with Sandile! and looking forward to getting busy with things!

3 comments:

Mallorie said...

I LOVE YOU!

KayMac said...

Glad you have arrived safely!

Heart Safe said...

What a great conversation with Dion. :) You better appreciate that awesome weather!

I will be praying for your space to be completed quickly, so that you can really move in. Those other young women sound fantastic though!

Tell Sandile "Saubona!" (sp?) for me!

Mallorie