Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Makoti living
Sani Bonani!
Life is Africa is picking up and I have become quite busy! I spoke in the Valley at Embo twice on abuse and through that 5 or 6 woman have come forward for counseling. All of them have been raped and endured further abuse. Besides those women, I have the three girls in the house, a teen boy, and a younger boy. The ages of those whom I am seeing are 6-60 so it is quite a wide range. Most of them have some fluency in English, but I am working with Nonsi and Nelly who are also on the team who are interpreting for me. It is going well and I am enjoying it although of course there is that feeling and thinking of “’What the heck am I doing, how am I going to help these people, I don’t know anything” I feel that part of this is lies from the enemy, but it also drives me towards prayer as I need much discernment and wisdom working with survivors of sexual abuse, and especially those who are from a different culture and speak a different language!
I am going to a Zulu tutor once a week although I do not feel as though my Zulu is increasing so much. It is a frustratingly slow process and even though I am living and working among Zulu speakers I don’t feel like I am picking up as much as I should. I do not understand how people say one must immerse themselves in the language and then you learn it- I am not finding that to be true- at least not yet!
Today the house is very quiet- Jabu and Thulani were married on Saturday and they moved out with the children yesterday. It is almost odd being in a house that is totally quiet and semi clean Surprisingly I had sort of gotten used to the screaming and crying! Haha and honestly I think I will miss those kiddos even though half the time they smelled like poop and 75% of the time they were screaming.
I moved into my flat last Thursday. It is not finished yet, but the bedroom is so I have been sleeping there since then. The ceiling for the bathroom and lounge are being put in today and everything besides the kitchen should be finished by the end of the week or early next week!! I will send photos when it is all done. It is quite nice and I know I am going to love having my own little space.
Sandile and I continue to do well and grow in our relationship in daily life. We are currently reading through the five love languages for part of our pre marital counseling and it is providing a good platform for conversation. We are going tonight to Garry and Annette’s for our second session
We usually stop in to see his family once a week and it is always a pleasant time. I am enjoying being a makoti (Zulu bride) spending time and getting to know my future in laws and feel blessed that we seem to be getting along great. Sandile’s sister Phindile is due to have a baby in April so I will officially have a Zulu niece or nephew! Very exciting!
I pray all of you are doing well and as always thank you for your interest, encouragement and support!
Sahle Kahle! (Stay Well)
Abby
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Love you, Abby. Pray for you constantly.
Post a Comment